We usually use USB-RS485 (or USB-RS232) converter cables from FTDI Chip to test our air data computers with software on a personal or mobile computer.
The default options of the virtual COM driver on the Windows operating system are not optimal however. To get a smooth flow of data we prefer to set bytes received and bytes sent to 64 and waiting time to 1ms as shown in the below screenshots:
- Plug in the USB converter cable
- Start the hardware manager
- Select the approriate serial port
- Right click and select properties
- On the connection properties tab select “Advanced”
- Set the values of bytes received and sent and waiting time as shown in the below screenshot